Thursday, June 2, 2011

Twilight

hubba hubba
I have a confession. I have read all the Twilight books. I even have read the partially written Midnight Sun, which is the first book written from Edward's perspective. I have seen all the movies. I have spent more time than I will admit to searching the internet for sneak peaks of Breaking Dawn.

They aren't the greatest of books. It's not the best of stories. But it's fun. It's silly. The movies have gotten progressively better, and yes, I will be seeing Breaking Dawn, parts one and two in theaters. Maybe not opening night.

I'm not a die hard fan. I'm not even an original fan. I thought all the bad things about Twilight up until my mom started reading them. Why did she start reading them? I'm not really sure. But she convinced me to at least give them a try. I am involved in the youth group at my church and had been hearing girls talk about Twilight for years and figured I should go ahead and find out what it was that they were reading.

It didn't take long. I devoured all four books in as many days. They are very easy reading and the story moved fast. I don't know what to tell you...I have a thing for the dark and mysterious guy. The people who don't understand the allure of Edward just don't like the "bad boys." I do like the angst ridden bad boy. And you can't get much angstier or badder than a boyfriend who wants to kill you and drink your blood, but also loves you and doesn't want to hurt you. COME ON!

If you want a shirtless pic, go find it yourself
Jake is a little humiliated by it, I think. I was too, at first. The second movie was out of the theaters but not yet on DVD when I discovered the series. I waited patiently and quietly to see it, and then cuddle in the privacy of my mom's couch to watch it. After a while I started getting more bold in telling certain peoples that I had read the books. I even convinced my sisters-in-law to come with me and my mom to see Eclipse in theaters. Don't worry, we went to a matinee. In any case, I guess I'm really coming out now since I'm putting this on my blog.

Why am I putting this on my blog? Because I'm avoiding finishing another post I've been working on that actually has some depth and reality to it. I'm avoiding it because I don't want to have to work out the issues that are addressed. How's that for a hook? Well, stay tuned. I might get up the guts to finish it next, or I might just post pictures of a hunky, and much warmer, Jacob Black.

Have you read or seen Twilight? If so, what did you think?

9 comments:

  1. Have read them. Even Midnight Sun. NOT the Bree Tanner one though. See, I'm not a die hard fan. Not at all. Even if I've read the others 2x each. And seen the movies. And own them on DVD.

    I guess I could say I love the series. As I explained to my dear husband, for me, it's like reliving our early days. Not that he wanted to kill me or drink my blood, but that whole "you two have your own gravity, like a planet around a sun..." -- yea, that was us. It's fun for me to go back to those days, to cast him in the role of Edward and me as Bella and fall in love all over again. I mean, we are just fine on our own! but yep, something just grabs me and draws me into the story every time.

    Good for your mom, dragging you into it. I'm glad she hasn't let your adulthood stop her from teaching you the important things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting into words how this series makes me feel. Yes, Jake and I had (and have) our own gravity. And it IS great fun to relive it.

    I didn't even know there was a novella about Bree Tanner. I guess that makes you more of a die hard than me. Neener neener. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. -cough- I only know about the novella because I get all my news via Yahoo (we live in Brazil, so internet it is as far as news goes....).

    And glad I can connect on the whole gravity thing. It's fun getting to know you a bit, after reading your mom's posts about you for ages. I really enjoy your blog.

    (I'm TxHeather on the SL forums, in case you are wondering who on earth I am. I think in your followers list I'm Q&H LastName though...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've been coming by. I noticed a week ago that I had some traffic from a link on your own blog. Thanks for putting me out there. And it's nice to meet you, TxHeather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first one.

    I get what you are saying about the intensity of first love, but honestly, they didn't capture me the way they captured your Mom. Different strokes for different folks: that's what keeps the world interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read them all. I really enjoyed them. And last summer when I was laying on my sofa recovering from surgery I didn't want to have, I watched the movies. And my dh, God bless him, watched them with me, and he didn't make snarky comments. Well, not many. I told him the books were better, but he hasn't cracked one open, imagine that. I was just eyeing mine on the bookshelf and thinking it was time to reread them. It's great for a quick, fun, summer - escapist kinda book. And I think I missed a movie along the way. Gotta go check Netflix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, it takes a good, good man to sit with his wife and watch Twilight movies without making snarky comments. That's like loving his wife more than himself sort of love. That's like special crown in heaven kind of love, in my opinion.

    Rachel's daddy took her and I to see the second movie and sat patiently while Jacob took his shirt off again, and again, and again. A man like that is hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, You're so right. I'm glad we can still be friends. :)

    Andrea, you're husband sounds like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the movies, but I haven't read the books. I do have the books, my dd has read them, and I have started reading, but never finished, the first book. I loved what I did read of it, but I've already seen the movie, so...

    ReplyDelete