Friday, June 24, 2011

I'm thinking about going public.

I've been thinking more and more about going public with my blog. And by that I mean telling people in real life that I actually have a blog. People that might read it. I have told a select few friends already, but either I WANT them to read it, or I know they wont because they don't have time. :) But what if I were to start announcing my blog posts on facebook? I have 274 facebook friends. Many of them are students. Some of them are family. Some are people I only see once a year. Do I want all of them to have access to my inner thoughts?
I'm not ready for the paparazzi

I realized this morning one of my biggest fears about putting my blog out there: I already feel like people watch me and are waiting for me to be pregnant. Do I really want them all in on my thoughts and feelings on the matter? They'll want to talk about at inconvenient times. They might whisper behind my back. They might offer unwanted advice. At least when people offer unwanted advice on in the internet I can ignore their comment until a later time when I'm ready to hear it.

Disclaimer: I do appreciate your advice. Really I do. But, as I'm sure you can understand, I'm not always in the mood to listen. :) I do always come back to it though. So don't stop!

Another fear about putting my blog out there is that I've written some personal things about real people! Believe it or not, The Frog and The Crush are real people. You can't make that stuff up. What would they think if they read those posts? What would they say if I told them I wrote about them to try to help moms of young girls?

My blog isn't private. Anyone could look at it, if they found it. I just haven't been advertizing.


So, is your blog open to your friends and family? How does that work? Would you suggest it? Pros and Cons?

3 comments:

  1. Since I'm struggling with these issues myself, I have no answers for you (yet). I guess we'll be learning together.

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such an open book that I haven't run into any problems with it. It's been another area of connection for me. I like it. But I don't tend to be controverisal...that might be one reason - but I really can't say. Plus, of my numerous FB friends I think most of them have hidden me and my blog, so I'm even less worried. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know whatever your decision, you'll work through it carefully and thoughtfully.

    For what it's worth, (because mine is quite public), I sincerely doubt anyone else cares very much about my thoughts and feelings. It's amazing to me how unimportant I am, and how few people actually read! :-D

    ReplyDelete