Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer movies

I love super hero movies. I just do. I don't know the comic book backgrounds of most of them, but when I was growing up my dad would take my brother and I to the Saturday noon matinee of every big superhero block buster opening weekend. It is one of my favorite memories of my childhood. In fact, those movies have shaped how I watch movies in the theater even today.
  • We'd get to the theater at least an hour early to get the best seats in the theater. I don't go that far any more, but we live in a very small town with a very small theater. Unless you go to a movie on a weekend night you're not going to need to go an hour early. But I still like to be there early if at all possible.
  • We didn't buy candy or popcorn or drinks. Dad would say "If you get popcorn you'll be thirsty. If you get a drink you'll have to get up during the movie to use the bathroom. You don't want to miss part of the movie because you have to go to the bathroom, do you?" Now that I'm older I think he just didn't want to spend $30 extra on popcorn, but I still don't get popcorn or drinks when I'm at the movies...because he was right. I DON'T want to have to go to the bathroom during the movie.
  • Since we would get to the theater so early, and Brother and I would be so excited to see whatever awesome movie it was, we would be a bit restless and need to kill some time. Dad came up with the best game ever. Statue. Here are the rules. On three, Brother and I have to be as still as possible in whatever position we were in. Arms up, standing, sitting, mouth open or closed...no moving. Who ever held it longest got a quarter. We thought it was the best game ever. I don't force Jake to play with me, but I do intend on playing it with my kids when they are old enough to take to the movies. If there are still movie theaters then and we aren't all watching movies by implanted microchip.
  • I also prefer to see afternoon or mid-week showings. Less people. 
Anyways, this summer has a lot of superhero movies coming out. I thought I'd let you know of some that I'm looking forward to.

I saw Thor. I liked it. But you can wait to rent it if you haven't already seen it. It was campy in all the right places, like a good superhero movie should be.

Jake and I saw X-men First Class yesterday. LOVED IT. If you like superhero movies, I'd suggest seeing this one in theaters. It's going to be hard to top it this summer, in my opinion.

Green Lantern. I have a crush on Ryan Reynolds. We may see it in theaters if we have a free evening.

Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon. I didn't really do Transformers when I was little. Brother had a few of the toys, but they weren't a big deal to me. My husband and his sister, on the other hand, LOVE Transformers. Especially my sister-in-law. It took me a few tries to watch the first one, (they'd start it late at night, and I kept falling asleep) but finally I saw the whole thing. I'm sure I'll be seeing Transformers 3 in theaters at least once with her. And I remember Shia Labeouf from way back when he was doing Even Stevens, so it's a bit sentimental, too.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. Not a comic book superhero, but what can you do. I haven't read the books. But I've watched all the movies. How could I miss the very last one!? Besides, who doesn't love a good battle between good and evil?

Captain America. Abs, abs, abs. Oh, and good verse evil once again. And this is basically the Avengers kick off, right? Gotta see it.

So yeah...I probably missed one, but those are some of the movies are I'm looking forward to seeing this summer. And, for nostalgia's sake I'm sure I'll be bringing Dad along for at least a couple. At least I'm seeing X-Men again with him.

4 comments:

  1. You just summed up our entire summer movie line-up. My husband sat down with the calendar and marked release dates for here in Brazil -- we go two weeks in a row, then a week off, repeat, all summer long. Can't wait!

    (oh, we are adding in Kung Fu Panda 2, but I give you permission to skip it if you want....)

    And -- Read the BOOKS!!! (HP, of course).
    'kay, that's all. Enjoy your summer! (will try the statue game; easier to pack for than taking cards and things....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And suddenly, the choice of "The Tick", becomes oh, so clear....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather: I'm sure that some day I'll read Harry Potter, but I highly doubt that I'll crank then out before July. And I hope the statue game works for you guys. It started becoming more a competition between Brother and I not for the quarter, but just to see who could hold the funniest pose. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan: Explains a lot, hu?

    ReplyDelete