Saturday, March 5, 2011

Life as a mute

I still don't have my voice back. At all. If anything, it's gotten worse. I don't just sound like someone else, most of the time I don't sound like anything at all. Occasionally I can get a few words strung together, but for the most part it's a whisper punctuated by a squeak here and there. It's really quite pathetic. I miss singing. I usually sing all day. I miss making noise when I laugh. I miss talking. I feel crippled by my inability to vibrate my vocal chords. I can't even grunt like Frankenstein!

Jake and I went to the big city today for some hang out time and shopping. We went to Chipotle for lunch and I had to whisper/squeak my order to Jake to be reiterated to the guy behind the counter. I think the guy thought I was agoraphobic or something. After that Jake dropped me off at TJ Maxx while he ran some other errands. I found a muffin pan that I'd been wanting and cautiously headed up towards the cashier. I tried to keep the croaking to a minimum, but the lady looked at me like I was The Creature from the Black Lagoon.


I couldn't make pleasantries with my fellow shoppers. I couldn't ask for help. The poor Starbucks drive-thru window dude really earned his tip trying to make out my order. They say all you need is your looks...well whoever "they" are, they have grossly underestimated the power of vocal communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment