Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I heart my mom

We're having a GNO (girl's night out). We're out of town, in a hotel room, having a blast. Well, right now we're just laying side by side being chill and getting ready for bed, but up until now it's been a hoot. Hot tubbing, strawberry mojitos, pedicures, and girl talk. I love hanging out with her.

She's such an inspiration to me. I think she knows it, because I'm pretty sure I've told her before, but I want all of you to know that she's an inspiration to me. She's a hard worker. She's opinionated. She's truthful. She's got a rockin' marriage. She's gorgeous. She's strong. She's gracious. She's wise. She's fun. She's loving. She's compassionate.

She's my best friend. I strive to be like her.

She hasn't always been my favorite person though. I totally believe that the reason we're so close now, the reason I respect her so much now, is because she was a MOM when I needed her to be, even when I didn't want her to be. Not in a mean way, but in a great mom kind of way. She punished me when I needed punishing. She called me on my crap when I was messing around. She made me go to school (or do school since I was home-schooled) when I didn't want to. She kept me in line. She told me about God. She taught me how to cook. She taught me how to do laundry. (And for the record, she taught my brother too, he just refused to remember. I'm not sure who does his laundry now because he still claims that he doesn't know how when he comes home to visit.)

She also took me to the movies. She giggled about boys with me. She taught me to really appreciate a nice pair of heels. She took me out to eat. She lay in bed with me while I cried about my first love (a lot. I'm a crier. And he ignored me for years) We got pedicures and massages together. We went to the theater together. She offered to slash the tires of my ex-boyfriend's car. She supported me in my musical endeavors, even when piano recitals were filled with horrible stinky children.

Now that I'm an adult(ish) and married and moved out, I still totally love hanging out with her! I love talking with her. I love laughing with her. I love crying with her. I still call her when I have a question about anything. I still feel the need to go crawl in bed with her. She has great insight, and I trust her with my heart.

This is us in February getting ready to go out for Valentine's Day with our Valentines. She's so awesome Jake and I double date with her and dad. :)


Anyways, it's way later than I planned, but I just wanted to show some appreciation for my momma.

I LOVE YOU MOM

9 comments:

  1. I love you too, girlie, girl. With all my heart and soul.

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. You're a good kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two give me hope that maybe my girls will still kind of like me when they grow up. Wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel:

    what a sweet post! I love that you love her so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Sweet! I'm a total stranger, but found your blog through your mom's blog, which I found through Susan in the Boonie's blog, which I found through the Sonlight Forums!!

    I hope my daughter will appreciate my mom-ness one day and your relationship is a beautiful picture of what a mother/daughter relationship can be!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gonna go blow my nose! That was so good to read. I pray that my own girlie feels the same some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I could be an inspiration. :) Thanks for stopping by ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, thank you for sharing this.. I am one of those mystery followers that knows your mom online. You give me hope while I am still in the mean-clueless-suck-the-joy-out-of-life mom phase, that there is hope. That if I stay strong, and keep loving my girls, someday they will say this about me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post - it made me smile. We think your Mom is great but it is always best to have a daughter say it too.

    Glad to see you posting again too :)

    ReplyDelete