Thursday, July 14, 2011

Label me

I need a label. One that isn't limiting. One that can change with me over the years. If I'm going to keep at this blog thing for a while then I don't want to put myself in a corner with the identity I choose.

I thought about Young Wife, but I won't always be a young wife. I thought about something to do with infertility, but I won't always be childless. I like dogs, but I don't want to only write about my dogs. They aren't always that interesting anyways. I thought "City Girl in a Small Town" but I may not always live in a small town. Also I really don't write that much about living in a small town. Can you think of something else that you think fits me or my blog better? I'm looking for real feedback here.

Right now I'm leaning towards 
My Mother's Daughter
What do you think? I like it because, well, I am her daughter in many more ways than people may even realize. Also, I will ALWAYS be her daughter. And most of my readership are her fans anyways. Instant readers right there. ;)

Mom and I are going to a blog conference in August and I'd like to be somewhat set up by the time we go. I'm actually getting pretty excited about it. I had wanted to write or do some sort of journalism in high school and college and maybe this is the way I can do that.

Thanks in advance!

5 comments:

  1. I like it. It fits, and allows you to explore all the things you love and that interest you, without being stuck in a too-small niche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's OK, if it feels right to you.

    Here's the thing: at your age, there is no way I could have identified "who I was" in any real way that would have lasted through the years. I have morphed, through several stages: I was the young single missionary apprentice in Europe, the young single professional stuck in my hometown and feeling restless, the young single grad student, the young married career woman, the young urban mother, the homeschool Mom, and ultimately, I became the older, more experienced, extremely confident, get the heck out of my way, funny, warm Susan in the Boonies that I am today. You'll grow. You'll change. There is no way you can anticipate at this time what all you'll go through on the way to becoming who you will be. But I KNOW that you will become very much your own woman.

    Only you can truly define your niche at this point, if that's necessary. Try on whatever feels comfortable for now: but rest assured that life has a way of not allowing you to stay there too long. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback ladies. I ended up going with something that was a little less of a label. I'm just me. You can't put me in a box. So take that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You can't put me in a box."

    NOW that sounds like my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Branding is very important. Your name can be your brand. That way as you change, your blog can change easily.
    Avoid the words mom, ponderings and musings, as I learned too late.

    ReplyDelete