Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let me never be like Job's wife.

I've been reading Job over the past couple of days. I'm only a couple chapters into it, and already I'm mad. I knew the story of Job: bod things happen to a good guy, he never really knows why. I also knew that he had crappy friends, but I never realized how crappy.

So far, his friends have judged his relationship with God, accused him of not confessing his sins, and told him that he must deserve what is happening to him. Great support system, right? On top of that, what makes me the maddest, is even his own wife thinks the same things, and makes her opinion known. Low blow. I know that if Jake was going through something, no matter what it is, or how I feel about it, it is my job to support him. When friends fall away, parents are disappointed...I am here to build him up. And it's all that matters to him. Seriously. Jake gets some pretty harebrained ideas from time to time, and it doesn't matter if the whole world is against him, as long as I am on his side, he might think he could fly off a building. (I try not to let the power go to my head.)

I can't imagine how devastated Job is after his wife loosing hope in him. And it even happens first! Common woman...buck up!

2 comments:

  1. This is a wise observation. Jake needs you in ways he may not even be aware of yet. Learning the fine art of being a helpmeet takes time and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are likely to be times where you discover that you are acting like Job's wife.... Recognizing it, owning those feelings/actions and apologizing for it can strengthen your relationship in a way that surprised me when it happened.

    Hope you continue to strive to be helpers and life partners to each other.

    ReplyDelete