Monday, June 23, 2008

Created to be His Door Mat?

Well I've only thrown the book across the room once. I've skimmed the majority of the book, and it's started some interesting conversations with my hubby. There are some very good points. There are some things I would have written differently, not because it would change the actual meaning of what she is trying to say, but because it might come across less abrasive. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being blunt, but I think there is a difference between being blunt and down right offensive. Granted, people interpret things differently.

I've started the book over again, and with pen and journal in hand, I've started my mission to really take everything I can from this book. I'm not determined to prove everything she has to say to be false. After all, her concepts (for the most part) are Biblically based. But, as my husband puts it, she takes an idea and writes herself into a box, where she gets trapped and has no point of escape other than to deny something she's already written.

The scare tactics don't impress me either. Who really gets the glory when a woman is scared into submitting to her husband with threats of divorce, delinquent children, and dead-end jobs? Not that those things couldn't happen, but to tell a woman that the baby sitter will be having sex with a boyfriend while the kids run rampant through the house, and she'll only be able to get a crappy job and wont be able to afford to fix her broken car all because she writes in to ask how she should handle the fact that her hubby watches things on TV with the kids that are inappropriate...seems a little like overkill to me.

Thus far, there isn't really anything in the book that is new information. Jake and I had the privilege of participating in the Love and Respect study by Emerson Eggerichs in our couple's study when we got back from our honeymoon. We didn't enter our marriage with any serious issues (other than the fact that we are both sinful, selfish human beings) but we've taken the teachings and Biblical application of the study and put it into practice in our own marriage. Submitting to and respecting my husband isn't a profound concept to me, and it is something that I consciously do every day. Debi...I dare you to shock me with your grand wisdom.

:D

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a joy to read your comments on the book. I actually am scared to buy it!! :D

    We are still happily married after 25 yrs and plenty of rough spots.

    I hope you write some more about what you learn. ... or don't learn.

    ReplyDelete