Friday, May 27, 2011

Not quite lavender...

I love the smell of fresh lavender. It's relaxing and makes a room feel fresh. There happens to be a lavender farm close to where I live. You pick your own lavender and the owners make all sorts of lavender products, including soaps, potpourri, bath oils and lavender lemonade. There are mazes and gardens and fountains...going to the lavender farm can be quite the event. If we had been married in June I would have wanted to be married there.

This is my field and mountain

 The problem is...they are only open for about five weeks every year. The last couple years I've intended to go, but the season comes and goes so quickly I haven't made it up the mountain. This year I'm not going to miss it. I've told Jake that he needs to take me. I have their brochure on my fridge. I have the dates set on an alarm in my phone calendar. I'm NOT going to miss the lavender farm this year.

A few weeks ago Jake and I were driving up to Oregon and saw on lavender on the side of the freeway. I made the comment that if he ever found any on the side of a road somewhere that he should feel free to bring me some home.

Fast forward to two days ago: Headed home from fishing Jake noticed some lovely purple flowering bushes on the side of the road. Remembering his wife's love for lavender he pulled over and cut a few handfuls for me. He came inside proudly displaying his prize. "They're beautiful," I explained, as he plopped them in my arms. "What are they?"

"Why, they're lavender, my love."

"Um...no they're not."

"Yes they are my dear. Just for you."

"They're really lovely, but they aren't lavender."

After a few minutes of google sleuthing, we discovered that they are actually lupine wild flowers.
The mighty wild lupine

They're beautiful, and they smell nice too, but he hasn't gotten out of spending some time at the lavender farm this summer. :)
Flowers for my table

6 comments:

  1. I love lupins - but they don't love my garden sadly. Enjoy them for me - beautiful and sweet smelling.

    My lavender is starting to flower tho'...

    What a nice dh to remember and bring you flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. In Texas, they call 'em bluebonnets. One of my favorite flowers!

    That's a lovely picture of the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missus Wookie -- isn't he a sweetie? I had been thinking about planting some lavender in our yard this year, but I'm leaning more towards these beautiful lupins.

    Susan -- I love my mountain. :)

    Carrie -- yes they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore lavender! We'd turn our lawn into lavender if my hubby didn't think it was a loony idea. Word of caution on lupine - they attract the biggest fattest aphids I've ever met! I finally ripped mine out and replaced them with lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up Robin. Last night Jake was looking at all the fun facts about lupines. Did you know they're part of the legume family? Learn something new every days.

    ReplyDelete